ShareThis

10/2/08

I’M FREE!!!!!

Back during the first few years I started working, I did something very foolish. I ran up my credit. I just finished high school and started working at the doctor’s office full time, making decent money that I wasn’t used to having. Then, the credit card applications started flooding in and I applied. When all was said and done, I had a bunch debt totaling close to 20 thousand dollars. It got to the point that I could barely make all of minimum payments while helping with my parents at home. I was so stressed and worried that I couldn’t sleep. I also cried a lot because I was scared and was disgusted with myself at the fact that I let it get so out of hand. The credit companies were on my ass cuz I was falling behind a lot. I saw no end because of high interest and was so distraught. I looked into bankruptcy but it looked all complicated and didn’t understand it all nor did I have anyone to talk to about it. Then I saw an ad for a credit counseling firm that claimed to help people with debt without claiming bankruptcy. It was funded by the government and they did consultations over the phone 24 hours a day. I called them one night when I was at my lowest and spoke to someone right away. The man that I spoke to was actually very comforting as he did my assessment. He told me that when he added up all my minimum payments plus the rest of my budget, it exceeded the amount that I was making. When he told me that they would help me and that I could be debt free within about 3 – 4 years, I cried in relief.
That phone call was about 5 years ago and now, I write this as a totally DEBT FREE woman! It took 5 years instead of the projected 3-4 because as time when on, my responsibilities grew at home. My parents grew more financially dependant on me since they retired and we’ve had to replace the car twice over the years. Because of all that, I had to make adjustments with my counselor to lessen the payments thus making my program longer.
I cannot really express my joy over this accomplishment but I wanted to share it with whomever I can! I also cannot say enough great things about the counselors at Credit Canada. I could not have done it without them. I found out the great news over 2 weeks ago and still, I’m teary eyed in happiness as I type and feel like a great weight has been lifted! Trust me, I have definitely learned my lesson and look forward to my new found life!

Random Note: My music player features the sounds of The Foreign Exchange in honor of the release of their second album, Leave It All Behind, due out digitally Oct 7 and in stores Oct 14th. The Foreign Exchange is Phonte of Little Brother and producer, Nicolay. Their music features collaborations with other great artists like Yahzarah, Muhsinah and my friends, Darien Brockington and Zo! The lead song you'll hear is the 1st single, Daykeeper Feat. Muhsinah. The next 3 are favorites from the 1st album, Connected: Come Around Feat. Darien Brockington, Sincere Feat. Yahzarah and Nic's Groove Feat. Little Brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP