ShareThis

7/13/10

The Roots ~ How I Got Over




I’ll admit that I’m not the most knowledgeable fan of The Roots but plain and simple, I am a fan. I love the fact that they are a Hip Hop band, there’s something about live instrumentation that always gets me. I also love their diversity, making folks listen to different genres of music. An example of that is one of my favorite songs off of their album Phrenology, The Seed 2.0 which is a guitar driven track that leans towards the rock genre featured vocals from Cody Chestnut. I follow ?uestlove (drummer, in case someone’s not familiar) on twitter too and I think I have a little crush on him…just a tiny one! Lol! I know these musicians/celebrities don’t give away ALL their personalities on these social media sites but he just seems to keep it interesting and real. I think it would be cool to meet him…too bad I missed The Roots recently here in Toronto. *pouts*

How I Got Over is the newest album from The Legendary Roots Crew. Guest appearances include Blue, Dice Raw, John Legend and also Phonte from Little Brother blesses 2 tracks. I think it’s great that Tay made it on there twice…it’s also kinda cool that I can say that I know someone that’s on The Roots album! LoL! There’s a nice flow to this release starting with a very subtle and cool intro called A Peace of Light which I absolutely love. Trying to pick favorites tracks is a hard task for me with this album. if I had to choose, I couldn’t just pick one! My fave joints are: Radio Daze, Now Or Never, Right On and Doin It Again. As a whole, How I Got Over is a work of art from beginning to almost end…my only complaint was I wasn’t feeling the bonus track, Hustla. Don’t take my word for it, check it out for yourself! How I Got Over from The Roots is available in stores and all your favorite online outlets as well!

How I Got Over Tracklisting
1. Interlude 1 feat. Amber Coffman, Angel Deradoorian & Haley Dekle of Dirty Projectors
2. Walk Alone feat. Truck North, P.O.R.N. & Dice Raw
3. Dear God 2.0 feat. Monsters Of Folk
4. Radio Daze feat. Blu, P.O.R.N. & Dice Raw
5. Now Or Never feat. Phonte & Dice Raw
6. How I Got Over feat. Dice Raw
7. Interlude 2
8. The Day feat. Blu, Phonte & Patty Crash
9. Right On feat. Joanna Newsom & STS
10. Doin’ It Again
11. The Fire feat. John Legend
12. Interlude 3
13. Web 20/20 feat. Peedi Peedi & Truck North
14. BONUS* Hustla feat. STS

I happened to find a video of The Roots while they were here in Toronto recently...ENJOY! (Friendly reminder: Don't forget to pause mp3 player top right of the screen before pressing play!)



No comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP